Gout refers to a form of arthritis that causes severe pain in the person who suffers from it. What are the symptoms and causes of gout? What should be done to relieve joint pain? Discover all the grandmother’s remedies and tips to stop suffering from this disease. Reduce inflammation with our natural solutions.
What is gout?
Under this funny name hides a particular form of arthritis. It causes recurrent attacks of intense pain in one or more joints. Typically, gout attacks last for several days before the symptoms go away for several weeks.
Gout is likely to affect all joints. But, it is most often seen at the base of the big toe. The joint appears purplish and swollen.
In fact, the origin of gout comes from hyperuricemia, that is, from an excess of uric acid in the blood. This triggers inflammatory reactions.
Note that gout mainly affects men, around the age of 35. In women, seizures occur after menopause.
There are several symptoms of gout including:
- sudden and intense pain in one or more joints. Gout attacks most often occur at night;
- redness and swelling in the area affected by gout;
- a strong feeling of cold in the affected joint;
- generalized joint pain, which may be accompanied by malaise, fever and chills. In this case, it is advisable to go to the hospital without waiting.
How do we catch it?
First, there are what are called people at risk:
- men as well as postmenopausal women;
- people with health problems such as kidney disease, hypertension, diabetes, obesity, hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerosis and metabolic syndrome;
- individuals who take diuretics and aspirin in small doses but on a regular basis;
- people with a family history.
Then there are risk factors. They increase the production of uric acid or decrease its excretion. Among them :
- excess food, especially in terms of protein (organ meats, white and red meats, fish, seafood). On the other hand, obesity is one of the risk factors for gout;
- alcohol abuse. Among alcoholic beverages, beer is the one that raises the level of uric acid in the blood the most;
- stress, like other free radicals, leads to the formation of uric acid;
- lifestyle: sedentary lifestyle, for example.
What are the natural treatments for gout?
A specific diet
To avoid gout attacks, it is better to remove foods from your diet. Among them :
- offal such as sweetbreads, liver, kidneys, tripe, etc.
- sardines, herring, anchovies and fish eggs;
- meat broths, juices and jellies;
- the cold cuts ;
- game meats and young meats such as veal, turkey;
- the mushrooms ;
- highly fermented cheese;
- mayonnaise, fatty sauces and cream;
- chocolate and cocoa;
- the fries.
On the other hand, the diet must limit the intake of meat, fish and seafood, pulses, eggs and dairy products.
Conversely, ham, chicken and fish can be eaten without restriction, once a day.
Diuretic herbal teas
Diuretic herbal teas are a good natural solution to overcome gout. Combine ash leaves (50 g), meadowsweet (50 g) and blackcurrant leaves (100 g) with a few flowering tops in a cup of boiling water.
Herbal teas should be taken between meals and no more than half a liter daily.
- 10 granules of Uricum acidum 7 CH (once a week, on waking);
- 3 granules of Arnica 4 CH (on waking);
- 3 granules at noon of Ranunculus 4 CH;
- 3 granules at bedtime of Colchicum 4 CH.
As a basic treatment, you can use powdered plants, including bearberry, which increases diuresis. Ash leaves also have diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties. Finally, the properties of Canada fleabane are similar to those of ash.
Combine these three powdered plants in a capsule (100 mg of bearberry and ash, and 150 mg of Canada fleabane). Take 2 capsules in the morning and evening for a renewable month.
Known for its many pain-relieving properties, apple cider vinegar can also help relieve gout attacks. In a glass of water, pour a spoon of cider vinegar. Then drink. The operation must be repeated every day. You can also add honey to the solution to make the flavor more pleasant.
Ginger has multiple benefits for soothing pain. Apply the ginger paste on the inflammation or consume it regularly fresh or soaked in a glass of water.
It reduces the level of uric acid in the blood. Drink a glass of water mixed with a spoonful of baking soda. The drink will be particularly effective in the evening before going to bed. The solution can be drunk every day as it poses no health hazard.
This fruit is found to be effective in curing gout disease. Rich in vitamin C, it is a formidable ally to protect against crises.
Cut your lemon into two parts, then mix half in a glass of water. Drink up to three times a day. The result is almost immediate.
Note that lemon juice can be combined with baking soda for best results. Just mix, let sit for a few seconds, add to a glass of water, then drink.
Juniper, lavender or chamomile essential oil have anti-inflammatory properties. In the event of a gout attack, apply it to the affected areas.
Please note that the use of these essential oils is not recommended for pregnant women and young children.
This diuretic plant neutralizes the accumulation of uric acid. Immediately, it can relieve your joint pain. Use it as an infusion or by rubbing fresh nettle leaves on the affected area.
Celery seeds contain anti-inflammatory agents. Pour the seeds into boiling water until they become soft. Strain then immediately drink a cup of the beverage. The treatment can be renewed every day until the joint pain disappears.