In the field of construction, heavy or advanced industries, the melting is a widely used material. It is also an asset, still little known, of the metals exchange that it is nevertheless important to keep an eye on. Do you intend to buy cast iron in large quantities to carry out work? Do you want to invest in this alloy? Here is the essential thing to know about the price of cast iron.
How is the price of cast iron determined?
Like steel, cast iron is a alloy metallic made of iron and carbon. However, it differs from steel by its high carbon content. Indeed, while that of cast iron is between 2.1 and 6.67% (i.e. around 4%), the carbon content of steel is below 2%.
As an indication, at a scrap dealer, the price of cast iron is on average 0.25 euro/kg (between 0.15 and 0.3). So count between 150 and 300 euros per ton.
However, remember that the price of this alloy varies according to several parameters, which must be taken into account depending on the period in which you wish to buy or sell it.
These include in particular:
The price of iron
Iron is the main constituent of the alloy. The price of cast iron therefore naturally varies according to the iron price fluctuations.
Like any other asset, pig iron is subject to market fluctuations. In simple terms, supply and demand directly impact its price. Thus, the greater the market demand for this alloy, the higher its selling price. The global economy also comes into play, as the price of the material keeps pace.
The other constituents of cast iron
Cast iron is not always made only of iron and carbon. The additional components that can be added to the alloy also vary its price. It therefore goes without saying that the quality of the material obtained also plays a role in its pricing.
What are the accessory components of cast iron?
Outside of iron and carbon, other elements can be added to the font to modify its properties. For example, since iron is the main element of the alloy, the chromium can be added for effectively fight against corrosion.
Copper can also be added to the mix to stabilize the graphite (resulting from the transformation of carbon). As to manganese and at molybdenumthey help to boost the resistance of the cast iron.
What are the properties that explain the price of cast iron?
If cast iron is also used, it is mainly because of its mechanical properties. These include in particular:
- Her robustness : it allows this alloy to withstand abrasion and serration;
- Her ductility and malleability: these properties relate to the ability of this material to be modeled without risk of breaking;
- Her elasticity : it characterizes the possibility that this material has to resume its initial shape after deformation;
- Her solidity : it allows it to absorb shocks;
- Her tensile strength : it prevents it from deforming under the effect of external forces;
- Her endurance : cast iron can undergo repeated external forces without breaking;
- Her good flowability : in its raw form, cast iron, can correctly fill in all the details of a mold when poured into it in a liquid state.
These properties perfectly justify the strong interest in this material and the frequent fluctuations in the price of cast iron.
Read also: How to succeed in investing in gold?