The Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC), sometimes simply called Caisse des dépôts, is a French financial institution that has existed since 1816. However, many people are still unaware of its many missions of general interest. Find out what the Caisse des dépôts et consignations actually does, as well as its operation and organization.
What is the Caisse des dépôts et consignations?
The Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC) is a public financial institution that has existed in France since 1816. Although placed under the supervision of Parliament, it is independent and works in the service of the general interest and economic development on behalf of the state.
Its missions are diverse and varied. Among them, finance social housing and universities, but also develop businesses and the energy transition. But its first role is to guarantee the good state of the finances. To do this, it provides financing for the public debt.
How does the Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC) work?
The operation of the CDC is based on a unique model in Europe. It is indeed the only financial institution whose mission is to protect the nation and make the country grow. For this, it enjoys great autonomy.
However, the Caisse des dépôts remains controlled, in this case by the Supervisory Commission made up of 13 members who then report to Parliament, at least once a year by sending it a report. This commission is responsible for monitoring the proper management of the CDC and the decisions taken. It is chaired by a deputy.
What is the Caisse des dépôts et consignations mainly used for?
The Caisse des dépôts et des consignations fulfills several missions. The main ones are used to:
- ensure the security and sustainability of the savings entrusted to it (passbook A, solidarity sustainable development booklet, popular savings account);
- manage pension funds for public authorities;
- ensure the consignment of funds, this consists of receiving funds to keep them and return them to the beneficiaries (deposits of notaries in particular);
- manage personal training (personal activity account and personal training account).
CDC priority areas
In terms of the economy, the action of Caisse des dépôts is grouped around three main axes:
- Financing social housing: fundraising, lending to social housing organizations or social housing enterprises. The CDC is the leading funder of social housing, providing accommodation for one in six French people. 100,000 new financed social housing units are built or purchased each year.
- Support for investment policies in the territories: financing of transport infrastructure projects, expertise provided to local authorities launching projects, investment in the field of green technologies in favor of the energy transition.
- Support for companies: direct investment in companies to help them develop, in particular through its subsidiaries in the fields of insurance, transport, ecology, tourism or digital technology. The CDC works with the main French companies, but also and above all with companies that do not easily find financing, such as small and medium-sized companies.
- Fight against global warming by positioning itself as the Climate Bank. The CDC is particularly committed to increasing its funding to promote projects related to energy transition and ecology.
Organization of the Caisse des dépôts et consignations
The CDC is organized around 5 professions.
The Bank of Territories
Since 2018, the Banque des Territoires has been supporting the actors responsible for developing the territories. To do this, it implements concrete solutions in terms of advice and loan financing, but also in investment. And this, in order to meet the needs of communities, businesses, legal professions and social housing organizations.
The Banque des Territoires is aimed at all territories, whether in urban or rural areas. Its objective is to reduce social inequalities as well as the fractures that exist between territories. It offers a complete offer in the fields of engineering and project assembly, thanks to its two subsidiaries.
The Pensions and Solidarity Department
This important player in social cohesion is responsible for supporting the life course of the French people. It manages 65 pension and solidarity funds and schemes under the mandate of the State, local authorities and hospitals.
The Pensions and Solidarity Department intervenes in the field of retirement and social protection by implementing solutions to facilitate daily life. In particular, it created the Ciclade.fr site, which allows the search for sums from contracts or inactive accounts.
It is also involved in several other areas such as vocational training, disability or aging. Finally, the Pensions and Solidarity Department, in partnership with La Poste, is the leading provider of local public services in France.
Bpifrance is a subsidiary of the Caisse des dépôts and of the State. It is responsible for combating territorial inequalities. To achieve this, it offers companies a continuum of financing: loan, guarantee, advice, support, etc., whether in France or abroad.
In addition, in 2020, in response to the Covid-19 health crisis, Bpifrance is supporting the cash flow of French companies with the implementation of a massive system, in consultation with the State and the French banking federation.
Asset management manages all of CDC’s financial investments. The Caisse des dépôts et des consignations appears as the first manager of assets of public status and as the 4th institutional investor in France.
Management of strategic holdings
The CDC supports the development of its subsidiaries over time, as a long-term investor. Provided that these subsidiaries provide their support in the general interest missions of the Caisse des dépôts et consignations.