Guaranteeing the construction work of a single-family home: building damage insurance

If you are building a detached house, you must take out property damage insurance. It is mandatory for new constructions. This insurance allows you to obtain, in the event of a claim, the rapid reimbursement of certain repairs. Comparing insurance offers will be the best way to find an advantageous contract.

What is property damage insurance?

In the event of new construction, the subscription of this insurance is an obligation, the breach of which may be sanctioned by law.

It makes it possible to obtain the reimbursement of expenses linked to certain disorders occurring in the construction of the individual house. These must come under the ten-year guarantee. This guarantee entails, for ten years, the responsibility of the manufacturers in the occurrence of certain types of disorders. These are in particular those which jeopardize the solidity of the work, those which call into question its destination and those relating to elements which, if they are not replaced or repaired, will compromise the very structure of the work.

Even if, within the framework of the ten-year guarantee, the responsibility of the manufacturer is presumed, it must sometimes be proven by a court decision, which takes time. The manufacturer can also exempt himself from it in certain specific cases. In this context, the advantage of property damage insurance, which is the corollary of the ten-year guarantee, is that it allows for very rapid reimbursement, with no deductible, of repairs. It is no longer necessary to wait for the results of the investigations essential to the establishment of responsibilities. It will then be up to the insurer to take action, still within the framework of the ten-year guarantee, against the manufacturer.

See also  How to save money on your life insurance?

Work damage insurance must be subscribed before the start of the project. It takes effect one year after the acceptance of the works and completes your coverage at the end of the ten-year guarantee.

If you notice a loss, it is advisable, in order to apply the property damage insurance, to declare it to your insurer within a specific period and by registered letter, with acknowledgment of receipt. It must specify the date of occurrence of the loss and describe it precisely. The insurer can then agree to cover the loss or, if he considers that the problems produced do not come under the ten-year guarantee, refuse it. The insurer then appoints an expert, responsible for assessing the extent of the damage caused. Within three months of the date of the loss, the insurer must make an offer of compensation. If the insured accepts it, and notifies it by registered letter, the sum provided must be paid within fifteen days.

Who is she talking to ?

The underwriter of the property damage insurance is the construction contracting authority. The latter, individual or legal person, is the one who has the building built.

The contracting authority can therefore be an individual, owner of the structure, who deals directly with the builder. But it can also be a real estate developer or a seller, who must take out this insurance for the benefit of future owners. In general, any person acting as an agent of the owner of the structure must take out this insurance. This is still the case for builders of single-family homes.

See also  Mutuals: the importance of comparing them

The importance of subscribing before starting work

First of all, it should be remembered that taking out property damage insurance is compulsory for the construction of a detached house, as for any new construction.

This is essential protection for the project owner, assured of being reimbursed within a short period of time for expenses related to the repair of poor workmanship covered by the ten-year guarantee. The mention of the subscription of the building damage insurance contract must be expressly recorded in the construction contract which binds the client and the builder.

How to find the best building damage insurance?

The best way to find the contract best suited to your needs is to compare the offers on offer. To this end, most insurers have simulators on their site, which allow you to compare both the rates and the guarantees offered. In addition to the basic guarantees, included in all contracts, you can opt, by comparing the offers, for additional guarantees, which provide you with better protection.

A careful study of the various contracts also shows that some insurers impose specific conditions before subscription, such as a preliminary soil study, for example. This type of contract is generally more expensive. It is therefore up to you to choose the contract which, while providing you with the guarantees you want, appears to you to be the least restrictive and the least expensive.

To choose your contract in full knowledge of the facts, it is also advisable to establish a free estimate online for damage insurance. It will allow you to discover the contracts that offer you, in a way, the best value for money. Sites like will allow you to receive personalized quotes that perfectly match your needs and also your expectations.

See also  Life insurance or PEA: what solution for the retirement of liberal professions?

It is also important, in order to find the most appropriate contract, to carefully examine the nature of the necessary formalities. All insurers will ask you to provide them with certain documents, such as a copy of the building permit or a declaration of the start of construction. But some will offer you a simplification of the procedures and a simplified subscription, allowing you to avoid confusion and waste of time.

Finally, the responsiveness of the insurer, its reputation, if you can know it, and its own experience, particularly in underwriting this type of insurance contract, must be taken into account in the final choice that will be yours.

Read also: How to finance the expansion of a house?

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse e-mail ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *

Retour en haut
Retour haut de page