The dog is the friend of the human being. Also, when he arrives in a home, it is important to look into his health and ensure it. This allows the dog to be followed by a veterinarian throughout his life and to control the budget to devote to it. Nowadays, several mutuals are competing for the market for the health of our pets. It remains to find the most suitable contract.
Identify your animal’s needs
Depending on their breed, dogs can be more fragile than others. The dog’s risk of illness or accident also depends on its daily activity. Indeed, it can accompany you on the hunt or be a faithful companion for blind people. In certain trades, including security, the dog is also very useful. As they age, the little beast needs specific care and veterinary costs become very expensive. Not being able to always assume, the masters must choose a mutual health insurance to cover the majority of the expenses.
Read also: Cat insurance: definition, formulas and coverage
Seriously examine each proposed contract
A large number of mutuals offer a multitude of contracts, so each of them must be carefully studied. It is not always easy to find your way among the existing offers and the prices charged. Most companies suggest three formulas to meet demand, which are as follows:
- The economic formula: this is a minimum coverage but not always sufficient. Not very extensive, it covers only the expenses paid by the teachers concerning the risks of hospitalization.
- The comfort formula: this intermediate formula allows reimbursements for almost all of the costs incurred, namely illnesses, accidents and hospitalization.
- The complete formula: it is a top-of-the-range solution. In addition to the comfort formula, it reimburses the costs inherent in vaccination and prevention. Are therefore included, treatments against parasites and deworming. In addition, the sterilization and identification of the dog are covered. Sometimes you will even be reimbursed during a health check.
An overview of the guarantees offered
From one insurance to another, the offers and prices vary for the same type of formula. Choosing the right mutual is worth thinking about, so here are some things to consider:
- The reimbursement rate, which may fluctuate from 60 to 100% (1) depending on the formula chosen.
- The choice of guarantees more or less extensive to best insure your animal.
- The nature of the risks covered involving illness, accidents and hospitalization.
- Reimbursement of prevention costs and even a specific diet. A ceiling is set according to the mutual insurance company and the contract chosen.
- The annual reimbursement ceiling according to the contribution: the more fragile an animal, the higher the amount of the ceiling.
- The waiting period is an essential point because it varies between a few days and a few months. But some mutuals do not take it into account or limit it to 7 days against a certificate of good health completed by a veterinarian.
- The deductible is in the form of a percentage or an amount depending on the contract chosen. Remaining the responsibility of the master, it is deducted from the reimbursement on routine care but not on prevention products.
The amount of the contribution: an important point
This is one of the essential elements because an amount that is too high can unbalance a household’s budget. It is necessary to target the needs of your dog to have a mutual of a good quality-price ratio. However, the higher your contribution, the more you will be reimbursed. Finally, you have the option of choosing a monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annual direct debit in order to better manage your finances.
Exclusions to consider
Age is one of the exclusions because most companies do not insure a dog beyond 5 years old. The same is true for animals classified as dangerous. Your dog must be chipped and in perfect health before subscription because an animal with a genetic or hereditary disease will be refused by a mutual insurance company. Finally, if the animal was sick just before insuring it, this pathology will not be taken into account thereafter.
Go through a comparator: saving time and money
By going through a comparator, you receive a certain number of quotes for free. You can calmly read the documents, compare prices and guarantees. Some companies will contact you by telephone to discuss your dog’s needs and give you advice before insuring him. You can even benefit from certain advantages depending on the mutual insurance companies.
- (1) https://www.toutoupourlechien.com/assurance-chien.html