Your bank card is lost, stolen or used for fraudulent purposes. Don’t wait for the direct debits to accumulate in your bank account, object! There are several ways to proceed with a La Banque Postale bank card opposition, find out which ones. You are also informed about the consequences of the operation, the deadlines, the bank’s obligations as well as the procedure to follow in the event of a dispute.
Under what circumstances can you oppose your La Banque Postale credit card?
Note that the holder of a bank card can oppose his bank card for three reasons:
- his bank card was stolen;
- he has lost his means of payment;
- his credit card was used fraudulently.
Be careful, if you have misplaced your credit card, be sure to look for it before making an opposition. This is a definitive operation which involves the destruction of your credit card if you find it.
Read also: How do I change my password at Banque Postale?
Solutions for blocking your bank card La Banque Postale
First, know that you can oppose your bank card every day, 7 days a week. There are several possibilities for this:
- directly from your card space in your mobile application. Click on « Manage my cards », then on « Services » and finally « Opt out »;
- by telephone: from France on 09 69 39 99 98 or from abroad on +33 9 69 39 99 98;
- by going to the counter of your post office. Ask an advisor to oppose your credit card;
- by default, you can also call the interbank number reserved for oppositions on 0 892 705 705. You will then have to provide the following information: your 16-digit credit card number and its expiry date. Beforehand, it is therefore necessary to have noted this information somewhere.
However, be aware that even in the event of opposition made by telephone, you must confirm your request in writing by registered letter. Attach to your letter a copy of the report from the gendarmerie or the police station if it is a theft.
To know : the number 09 69 39 99 98 is also used to oppose your checkbooks if all of your means of payment have been stolen (Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.). And if you have Alliatys means of payment insurance, report the claim after filing an opposition on 0 800 04 14 48 (free call from a landline, Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
Opposition to his La Banque Postale bank card: delays
On the one hand, note that the opposition takes effect as soon as the cardholder requests it. It is therefore in your interest to object as soon as possible, within 2 or 3 days maximum. Indeed, some CB contracts provide for this period. If you wait to object, the bank may charge you with negligence. And the Banque Postale will not reimburse you for sums unduly debited.
On the other hand, the cancellation of the credit card is valid from the day on which the holder made an opposition. From this moment, you are no longer considered responsible for the sums withdrawn from your bank account. And you also have a period of 70 days maximum after the date of publication of the account statement to report to your bank the transactions carried out without your knowledge.
The consequences for the holder of the bank card
Opposing your La Banque Postale credit card is not a trivial action because it has consequences.
First, the operation may entail additional costs, depending on the conditions provided for in the contract:
- opposition costs;
- deductible of 50 euros for the sums debited before the request for opposition if the confidential code of the CB was used or if the disputed debit takes place outside the European Economic Area;
- ordering a new credit card. The opposition is an irreversible operation which cancels the validity date of the credit card, even if you find it afterwards.
The obligations of La Banque Postale
Do not confuse opposition on CB and termination of your bank card. The two operations do not have the same consequences for La Banque Postale.
First, the bank must reimburse you when the withdrawals exceed the limit of 50 euros. Provided that this does not result from extreme negligence on your part or from use of the credit card with the confidential code.
Then, if you are the victim of fraudulent use without your card having been stolen or lost, the bank must reimburse you for these operations upon receipt of your request. You then have 13 months to complete the process, knowing that it is better to be quick. Note that the deadline is reduced to 70 days or even 120 for payments made outside the European Union.
Finally, be aware that La Banque Postale must provide proof of your negligence if necessary. She can’t just say you’re a victim of phishing (or phishing).
What should I do in the event of a dispute with La Banque Postale?
The opposition center provides a registration number when requesting an opposition. Keep this number as it will serve you in the event of a dispute with your bank. If you are having difficulty getting the sums reimbursed after opposition, there are several remedies:
- amicable recourse by seizing the banking Mediator of La Banque Postale. Beforehand, you must send a complaint to your post office as well as to the bank’s customer relations department. Referral to the banking Ombudsman is made by post to the following address: The Mediator of La Banque Postale – 115 rue de Sèvres Case Postale G 009 – 75275 Paris Cedex 06, or via its website: https://mediateur. groupelaposte.com/. Then, the professional has a period of two months to provide you with an answer;
- then, if the answer of the banking Mediator does not bring you satisfaction, you can go to court (legal recourse). For amounts of less than 10,000 euros, you will have to turn to a district court. And for sums of more than 10,000 euros, to a high court.
Read also >> Oppose your bank card at the Banque Populaire