Common in both adults and children, constipation can be occasional or chronic. Find out what constipation is and what its different symptoms are. And we tell you everything about natural treatments to fight against constipation. Indeed, there are grandmother’s remedies to promote the transit and evacuation of stools.
What is Constipation?
Constipation is characterized by:
- slow bowel movement or difficulty in assessing stool;
- a stool frequency not exceeding three per week;
- hard stools, difficult to pass and weighing less than 50 g per day;
- a feeling of discomfort in the abdomen which may result in cramps and/or bloating.
However, these criteria must be nuanced. In fact, stool frequency varies by person. Some have very little bowel movement without being constipated, and others go up to three times a day.
Constipation can be temporary (pregnancy, travel, etc.) or be long-lasting. We speak of chronic constipation when the problem lasts between 6 and 12 months.
Generally, its frequency increases with age. Seniors are the first to be affected by this evil.
What are the causes ?
Several causes can explain constipation:
- a disease such as hypothyroidism or functional colopathy. The digestive state can be improved with appropriate management;
- a lack of fiber intake in the diet leads to a reduction in the speed of transit;
- bed rest or a sedentary lifestyle. Lack of bowel movements is associated with constipation;
- stress, anxiety can cause constipation;
- medications such as analgesics, neuroleptics, antidepressants, diuretics, etc.
- a lack of water supply;
- contraction of the intestines (or peristalsis). No organic cause explains this fact. In this case, the constipation is qualified as “functional”;
- food allergies or intolerances, in particular to lactose;
- refrain from going to the toilet. The longer the stool remains in the colon, the more difficult it is to assess.
- bowel obstruction (or bowel obstruction). The intestinal transit is blocked. Generally, this evil appears suddenly and is accompanied by vomiting. This requires urgent consultation.
Symptoms of Constipation
It is necessary to distinguish the transit constipation and terminal constipation each of which has its own symptoms.
Transit constipation is characterized by hard and rare stools, that is to say less than three per week.
And terminal constipation is manifested by a feeling of difficult defecation. It requires pushing efforts that are both significant and repeated.
In both cases of constipation, bloating, abdominal pain and intestinal discomfort can be observed. On the other hand, constipation can be accompanied by gas and loss of appetite. Finally, pushing efforts sometimes cause bleeding.
What are the natural treatments for constipation?
Buckthorn is effective against occasional constipation. This plant, which grows in humid forests, promotes the arrival of stools in the colon and facilitates their expulsion.
add 5 g of buckthorn in 200 ml of water. Then, bring to a boil and stir for ten minutes. Then leave the infusion off the heat for two hours. Before each meal, drink a cup of the solution.
Please note, this laxative plant is not recommended for children and treatment for adults should not exceed ten days. On the other hand, an allergy can be observed. For more precautions, seek advice from a herbalist.
This plant has leaves with laxative properties. They accelerate intestinal transit and facilitate defecation. Senna is recommended to fight against occasional constipation.
Consume the plant in the form of herbal tea. Bring 200 ml of water to the boil. Then, add 2g senna fruit. Wait ten minutes. Drink the solution rather in the evening, filtered or not. Note, the effectiveness of the drink can be seen ten hours after its absorption.
Like buckthorn, senna is not recommended for children and its treatment should not exceed ten days.
Consult a health professional (phytotherapist) to rule out any risk of allergies.
Flax has many health benefits, especially against chronic constipation. By moisturizing the stools, it promotes their evacuation.
Take a teaspoon of ground flax seeds with water. The natural treatment can be taken up to three times a day for chronic constipation.
This laxative recommended in case of occasional constipation accelerates intestinal transit.
Rhubarb is consumed in the form of an infusion. To obtain it, add 1.5 g of dried crushed rhubarb roots (to be purchased at pharmacies) to 200 ml of boiling water. Leave to macerate for ten minutes. Drink the drink in the evening before bedtime.
Please note that rhubarb tea is contraindicated in children under ten and in pregnant women.
Ispaghul or fenegree
By regulating intestinal transit, these two plants are effective in combating chronic constipation.
It is recommended to have recourse to a daily intake of ispaghul, between 3 to 10 tablespoons. As for fenegree, the intake is limited to two teaspoons.
Note, with these natural treatments, it is advisable to drink plenty of water so as not to obstruct the bile ducts.
Beverage and food
You have to drink about 2 liters per day to keep in shape. This habit is very important in case of constipation. Indeed, the absorption of liquids allows the softening of the stools and helps defecation.
You can drink water, but also fruit juice and soups. However, be careful with coffee and tea.
Drink citrus juice in the morning
Citrus juices are excellent natural laxatives. For even more efficiency, consume your orange or grapefruit juice in the morning, on an empty stomach.
Dietary fibers are great allies against constipation. You will find fiber in dried fruits and vegetables, but also in cereals such as rice, pasta, bread.
This grandmother’s remedy is one of the most convincing. Eat prunes in different forms to cure constipation problems. Think of juice, prune jam, for example.
sports and massage
A sports activity
As we have seen, a sedentary lifestyle promotes the onset of constipation. To avoid this ailment, practice regular physical activity.
Strengthening your abdominal belt will help you pass stools more easily.
Massage your stomach regularly to activate your lazy gut. This is a natural trick to counter constipation.
More natural treatments:
- 7 natural treatments for warts
- 7 Natural Acne Treatments
- 7 Natural Psoriasis Treatments
- 7 Natural Lice Treatments
- 3 natural treatments for scabies
Read also: Diarrhea: 10 effective and natural remedies