Frequent, heartburn can be very painful. Fortunately, there are natural remedies to overcome it. Discover all the treatments to fight against the pain of sourness and acidity. What foods to avoid? And what should be done to stop suffering from it? We tell you all about heartburn and its natural treatments.
What is heartburn?
Heartburn is characterized by a feeling of acidity or sourness in the stomach. These pains generally appear after taking meals, lying down or after ingesting an acidic or very fatty food.
Heartburn, also called epigastric burns, are not to be confused with:
- heartburn which is limited to the gastric sac. This evil is accompanied by acid reflux to the esophagus. They can also go up to the throat or mouth, and leave behind an acid burning sensation;
- GERD or gastroesophageal reflux disease. This health problem affects approximately 45% of the French population. Part of the contents of the stomach then passes into the esophagus, which causes real burns;
- hiatal hernia. It occurs when the orifice that connects the mouth to the stomach widens and allows the upper part of the stomach to rise to the level of the thorax.
Read also: Natural gastric dressing: effective solutions
What are the causes ?
Several causes can explain heartburn. Among them :
- taking certain medications such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (aspirin);
- motility disorders of the digestive tract;
- the consequence of GERD;
- certain foods (citrus fruits, coffee, spicy dishes, etc.);
- eating a large meal just before bedtime;
- tobacco and alcohol. Both are to be avoided because they stimulate gastric acid secretions.
Heartburn can manifest as:
- acid reflux;
- a bitter or sour taste in the mouth or throat;
- a burning sensation in the throat and in the sternum;
- stomach pain;
- sour or bitter regurgitation.
What are the natural treatments for heartburn?
Prohibit certain foods and eating habits
When you suffer from heartburn, it is better to avoid alcohol, fatty or acidic foods, soda, raw vegetables. Instead, choose foods that are not acidic.
On the other hand, learn to split your meals during the day. By doing so, you will avoid heartburn after eating. And also avoid fruit at the end of the meal. Likewise, do not drink too much before going to bed.
Infuse 3 g of dried seeds in 150 ml of boiling water for ten minutes. Filter and then drink three cups during the day, outside of meals.
This grandmother’s remedy can be used in children over six years old as well as in breastfeeding women. On the other hand, natural treatment is not recommended for pregnant women.
Lacto-fermented sauerkraut juice
You will find this solution in organic stores. Provided with probiotics, it improves gastric function. Less effective than other remedies, it is mainly to be used as a supplement and preventively.
Drink a glass of lacto-fermented sauerkraut juice once a day.
The aloe vera
It is a natural antacid which is effective especially in case of ulcers. Drink two tablespoons of pure aloe vera gel. It can be bought in organic stores. To be taken morning and evening for two weeks, apart from meals.
white clay milk
Use this product as a 15-day cure to overcome your stomach pains. Just mix a teaspoon of white clay in a glass of water. The operation must be carried out with a wooden spoon, not a metal one. Leave to act overnight. Then, drink the next day after mixing the solution.
Clay has absorbent properties. Therefore, never take white clay milk after taking any medicine. Wait about two hours.
On the other hand, the natural remedy is contraindicated in pregnant and breastfeeding women, in children and infants, in people suffering from kidney failure or suffering from Wilson’s disease.
Green clay poultice
Mix powdered or chunk clay with water to make a thick paste. Then apply generously to the stomach. Then, cover the affected area with a damp cloth so that the poultice does not dry out. Let stand between 20 minutes and 3 hours.
The natural remedy should not be used in children under three years old and in pregnant women.
Basil or peppermint essential oil
These essential oils are known to aid digestion. It is necessary to deposit in the hand two drops of essential oil of basil as well as ten drops of vegetable HE of your choice (argan, sweet almond, olive…). First massage the belly in the direction of digestion then the stomach, counterclockwise.
The operation will be performed before bedtime, for five minutes, and will be accompanied by deep breathing. To be renewed up to 5 times a day maximum.
And with regard to peppermint, place a drop of HE on a neutral tablet. Swallow when stomach pain is felt, up to three times a day.
Peppermint essential oil will not be used in children or pregnant women.
Although acidic, this product is an excellent alkalizer. Simply mix a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in lukewarm water. The solution should be taken in the morning on an empty stomach for 15 days.
Macerate of fig tree buds
Good for the stomach, it is also recommended to fight against stress and depression. Mix 5 drops of fig tree bud macerate in water. Namely, it is quite possible to take it also without water, directly to the mouth. And this, up to 6 times a day.
More natural treatments:
- 7 natural treatments for warts
- 7 Natural Acne Treatments
- 7 Natural Psoriasis Treatments
- 7 Natural Lice Treatments
- 3 natural treatments for scabies
- 11 Natural Constipation Treatments
- 9 natural treatments for angina
- 13 Natural Asthma Treatments
- 7 natural treatments for anemia
- 8 natural treatments for anxiety