Although common and harmless, conjunctivitis is a nuisance for the subject who suffers from it. Find out how this disease arises and how to get rid of it quickly. There are grandmother’s remedies and natural solutions to overcome it, we tell you which ones. Everything you need to know about alternative medicine to fight against conjunctivitis that affects one eye or both eyes.
What is conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis is a very common pathology. It corresponds to an infection of the conjunctiva. It is a transparent membrane covering the inside of the eyelids and lining part of the eyeball.
Although common and benign, conjunctivitis must be treated. Indeed, untreated conjunctivitis exposes you to the risk of serious complications, such as inflammation of the cornea. This then affects vision.
The occurrence of conjunctivitis can result from several causes. But in general, it is a virus (adenovirus) or a bacterium (staphylococcus, pneumococcus, haemophilus).
Note that there is also conjunctivitis of allergic origin (pollen).
All conjunctivitis is characterized by redness of the eye as well as blurred vision. However, the disease does not affect visual acuity.
And depending on the origin of the inflammation, other signs may appear. They make it possible to deduce the cause:
- both eyes are swollen and watery. And they itch the affected subject. In this case, it is allergic conjunctivitis (pollen);
- redness of the eye with itching, without purulent secretions. Only one eye out of the two can be affected. In the present case, it is an irritant conjunctivitis, that is to say that the eye has come into contact with an irritant product (eye drops, contact lens, cleaning product, etc. );
- clear discharge in addition to the symptoms previously described. This is called viral conjunctivitis;
- sensation of having a foreign body in the eye, eyelids stuck together on waking. These symptoms are obvious from bacterial conjunctivitis. This usually only affects one eye.
To know : in case of pain and loss of vision, it may be a more serious condition requiring an emergency consultation: keratitis (infection of the cornea), uveitis (infection of the uvea), glaucoma.
Natural treatments for conjunctivitis
Avoid contact lenses
If you suffer from conjunctivitis, it is recommended to give up your contact lenses for a few days. During the treatment, until complete recovery, wear glasses.
When you put your contact lenses back in, use a new pair (disposable) or disinfect your rigid lenses.
Don’t rub your eyes
This is the first step that comes to mind… And yet, it is better to avoid it or risk aggravating the inflammation. Do not rub your affected eye or eyes. You also risk contaminating those around you.
A baby can get conjunctiva. To treat it in a natural way, nothing like breast milk. If the mother is still breastfeeding, just put a few drops of milk on the infected eye, preferably when breastfeeding. The operation can be repeated several times a day.
Honey is one of these miracle products of nature which represents a formidable antiseptic, antiviral and antibacterial. It allows the eye to return to its normal state.
Simply dilute a teaspoon of honey in a cup of boiled and then cooled water. Using an empty sterile pod, put two to three drops daily into the eye. And you can also apply honey directly to the eye to soothe the inflammation.
The aloe vera
Apply organic aloe vera gel around the eye and eyelid. Attention, the operation must be carried out with great delicacy. Then massage gently to penetrate. Renew if necessary three times a day.
And to wash the eye, soak a cotton ball in a little aloe vera juice previously diluted in boiled and cooled water.
Potato has antibacterial properties. To create a potato poultice, grate the raw vegetable and wrap the pieces in a clean thin cloth (muslin, for example).
Put the potato poultice on the eye for a few minutes and repeat the gesture two to three times a day.
To soothe the itching associated with conjunctivitis, it is advisable to use chamomile. Dip a few flower heads in boiled water, steep and cool. Then spray a sterile non-woven compress with the solution. Then, leave on for ten minutes on the eyes.
A homeopathic treatment treats the symptoms of conjunctivitis. It is to be adapted on a case-by-case basis. If conjunctivitis is accompanied by the formation of edema, take Apis 5 CH (3 granules 5 times a day). In case of aggravation of the disease due to dry heat, it is advisable to use Aconite 5 CH (3 granules 3 times a day). When the eye is red and hot, it is better to use Belladonna 5 CH (3 granules 3 times a day). Finally, in the presence of an irritated eyelid with the formation of tears, opt instead for Euphrasia 5 CH (3 granules 3 times a day).
This is a tried and tested home remedy. To make your own thyme tea, steep 30 grams of thyme in a liter of boiling water for 15 minutes. Filter and drink during the day, every 4 hours.
The cold causes the eyes to swell in case of conjunctivitis. Pour the contents of two saline pods onto two separate sterile compresses. Then place them in the freezer for ten minutes. Be careful, do not leave the compresses longer in the freezer so as not to burn the skin on contact with an icy surface. Apply the compresses to the eyes for a quarter of an hour.
To remove the eyes, boil water to obtain a sterile solution. As soon as the liquid cools, soak a compress in it. Then pass it on the glued eyes. This will remove all secretions.
More natural treatments:
- 7 natural treatments for warts
- 7 Natural Acne Treatments
- 7 Natural Psoriasis Treatments
- 7 Natural Lice Treatments
- 3 natural treatments for scabies
- 11 Natural Constipation Treatments
- 9 natural treatments for angina
- 13 Natural Asthma Treatments
- 7 natural treatments for anemia
- 8 natural treatments for anxiety
- 9 treatments for heartburn
- 11 natural treatments for canker sores
- natural treatments for paronychia
- 7 natural treatments for cystitis
- 11 Natural Gout Treatments
- 13 natural treatments for osteoarthritis of the knee
- 7 Natural Sinusitis Treatments
- 6 natural treatments for osteoporosis
- 10 natural treatments for cold sores
- natural treatments for urinary tract infection
- 9 natural treatments to reduce the effects of menopause
- 9 Natural Osteoarthritis Treatments
- 9 natural treatments for tinnitus
- 11 natural treatments for hemorrhoids
- natural treatments for bronchitis
- natural treatments for seborrheic dermatitis
- Helicobacter pylori: natural treatments
- Natural treatments for bloating
- Natural Burn Treatments
- natural treatments for balanitis