Looking through your last account statement, you noticed a wording “SOGECAP direct debit”. What could it be? This entity does exist, and it is linked to Société Générale. Find out what SOGECAP offers and how you may have taken out insurance without realizing it. Also follow our advice to stop direct debits and contact Société Générale customer service. Everything you need to know to stop being improperly deducted by Sogécap.
SOGECAP: who is this ?
Sogecap designates the life insurance and capitalization company of Société Générale. In addition, Sogécap is the parent company of the entities making up the insurance business of the Societe Generale group in France and around the world. Its head office is located in Paris.
Sogecap’s activities are of several types:
- life insurance;
- retirement savings with three formulas: annuities, company pensions and pension funds;
- provident insurance (individual and collective);
- health insurance (individual and collective);
- protection for miscellaneous risks (legal protection, means of payment insurance, job loss insurance);
- creditor insurance to insure mortgages.
As an insurance company, Société Générale also has national and international partners. It maintains relations with Sogessur, Oradéa Vie, Antarius, etc. In addition, the company offers a wide range of products and services to meet the needs of its customers (individuals and businesses). And SOGECAP is also developing partnerships with reference distributors outside the group (platforms, groups of independent wealth management advisers, private banks, financial services companies, etc.).
In 2017, Sogécap held €86 billion in assets, 7.4 million contracts. And it was the 6th life insurer as well as the 5th bank insurer in France. On the other hand, the company received the 2018 Gold Trophy for life insurers with the strongest reserves (awarded by the magazine le Revenu).
What does the SOGECAP direct debit on my account correspond to?
Several reasons can explain a Sogecap debit on your account:
- subscription to an insurance contract with your Societe Generale adviser. If necessary, ask your adviser for a copy of the contract in order to find out all the terms and conditions, including the annual premium of the contract as well as the guarantees;
- your spouse has taken out an insurance policy without telling you;
- the company in which you work has signed a collective contract with Sogecap. To remove the doubt, contact the human resources department of your company and ask them the question. If you wish, the Sogecap payment can be deducted from your salary. In this case, it will no longer be a direct debit;
- it may also be an error on the part of Sogecap. She may have chosen the wrong member and wrongly debited your account. Although rare, this possibility should not be overlooked. Then contact Sogecap and fill in your surname, first name, date of birth.
Contest this direct debit: how to do ?
To contest the SOGECAP direct debit, first contact Société Générale customer service and ask them for an explanation. Claim the end of withdrawals from your account.
If the company is not ready to find an amicable solution, contact your bank adviser. Ask him to oppose SOGECAP direct debits so that your account is no longer debited improperly.
How to terminate SOGECAP?
To terminate a SOGECAP contract, you must contact the company’s customer service. Ask them to stop direct debits. The operation must be effective two months before the expiry date of your insurance contract.
You also have the option of sending a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt to the Customer Relations Department. To be taken into account, your file must be complete and must include certain documents, namely:
- a copy of your life insurance contract;
- a photocopy of your identity document;
- a RIB (Bank Identity Statement) to allow the payment of your money to your account.
Regarding the termination of life insurance, be aware that there are conditions. You can only repurchase credit (total or partial) to terminate for exit at maturity. Please note that this redemption is subject to several taxes which depend on the age of the life insurance contract:
- if your life insurance is less than four years old, you will be taxed at 35% on the interest added to your initial capital;
- the tax is 15% for contracts between 4 and 8 years old;
- and you will be taxed at 7.5% in the event of a contract of more than 8 years.
Note that this tax is also called compulsory flat-rate deduction. It concerns all interest earned and payments made in addition to the initial capital.
Finally, if you have taken out life insurance up to a certain age, that is to say for a limited period, you have an exit at maturity. This corresponds to the age you reach. In this case, termination is automatic. Your life insurance then becomes a life annuity or available capital.
Free sample termination letter for SOGECAP direct debit
Last name First Name
Full mailing address
Sogecap customer number
Subject: request for termination of my SOGECAP insurance contract (n°XXX)
By this letter, I request the termination of my SOGECAP contract n°XXX. By terminating, I want the direct debits from my bank account to cease permanently.
Please accept Madam, Sir, the expression of my distinguished greetings.
Last name First Name
Contact SOGECAP: coordinates
You can contact SOGECAP by different means:
- by telephone by contacting 09 69 36 23 62 (Monday to Friday from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.);
- by mail by writing to an adviser at the following address: Sogecap – 42, boulevard Alexandre Martin – 45057 Orléans Cedex;
- by accessing your Société Générale customer area.