The Companions of Emmaus in Brest. The Brest have two particularities: they are stubborn and they have heart. It was therefore out of the question not to respond, in 1954, to the appeal of Abbot stone. He wanted to provide the excluded with a home and a job, so that they could rebuild themselves and reintegrate into society. Thanks to a handful of volunteers from the city of Ponant, in 1956 was born the association of Friends of the Emmaüs Chiffonniers-Bâtisseurs community And 60 years later, Emmaus Brest is still there. He even made small ones: Morlaix, Plougastel-Daoulas, Le Relecq-Kerhuon, where a social residence should soon come out of the ground.
Recovery, you always interest me
The Emmaus community brings together employees and friends but above all Companions. These men and women in difficulty, ostracized from society, are welcomed without condition or distinction of nationality, age, opinion or religion. They are becoming the actors of their own reintegrationby their activity of recovery, restoration and reuse of objects collected throughout the year (furniture, clothing, household appliances, books, tools, etc.). These goods are then offered for sale to the public at an affordable price. The clientele also finds something to their liking there and a few treasures sometimes delight the collectors or vintage enthusiasts. The enclosed bed recovered from the bottom of a barn thus begins a new life in the form of kitchen furniture revamped.
Because the residents of Brest are accustomed to the beatings of tobacco and remain upright in the storm, the fire which in 2003 caused the Lambezellec auction room to go up in smoke, the result of their efforts, did not discourage them.
In Brest the Emmaus area is now installed on a major access road to the Breton metropolis, a stone’s throw from the Kergaradec commercial area. Served by the very recent tramway, the store has improved its conditions of access, parking and interior layout.
Read also: Where is the town hall of Brest?
To dive into the bric-a-brac of Emmaüs
In close collaboration with Ker Emmaüs Plougastel-Daoulas or Emmaüs Le Relecq-Kerhuon, Emmaüs Brest organizes themed sales which delight bargain hunters, snoopers, but also less fortunate customers.
- The big summer sale: an unmissable event with deals not to be missed. You will find the most beautiful, unusual and unique pieces of superior quality, at unbeatable prices. Items essential to everyday life are offered at solidarity prices.
- The school sale: with the start of the new school year, this is an opportunity to stock up on supplies without breaking the bank, to find a cheap office, while doing a good deed.
- The monthly clearance sale at Espace Emmaüs in Relecq-Kerhuon: is held every third Monday of the month.
But Emmaus is also about sharing convivial moments:
- Ker Emmaüs solidarity café in Plougastel Daoulas: an opportunity to discuss the association’s values.
- Brittany Day: at Relecq-Kerhuon, in 2018, the artistic recycling center of Emmaüs presented its creations in the Sapin wood.
Where to find Emmaus Brest?
190 Rue de Gouesnou
29200 Brest 02 98 03 06 29
- You can come and do your shopping: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- You can drop off your donations: Tuesday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., except Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 1:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Read also: The 3 best hairdressers in Brest